Saturday, September 10, 2005

I mentioned on my other blog that I've been checking out books on getting rich.

Michael Masterson seems to have the most practical advice in his books Confessions of a Self-Made Millionaire, which is a compilation of articles from his Early To Rise Newsletter (only available through them, apparently, but you can read about it here), and Automatic Wealth: The 6 Steps to Financial Indpendence. There's an article using the latter as a take off point by Hal Cranmer at LewRockwell.com. Here's the first paragraph:
This is not a book review. Michael Masterson's new book, Automatic Wealth: The Six Steps to Financial Independence inspired me to write an article because it illustrates the tremendous potential and performance of the free market economy. With a title such as Automatic Wealth, one would expect the book to describe how to swell your bank account, and it does not disappoint. Mr. Masterson's techniques for becoming financially independent seem very sound to me (who is not, currently, financially independent) and I am already starting to follow his advice. Yet the highlight of the book for me was the non-monetary aspects of wealth. He shows how wealth can take many forms, and it is up to the individual to achieve his own brand of wealth.

I'm also still reading Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (sign up there for a free ebook copy--don't worry, they're not evil spammers) and Wallace Wattles' The Science of Growing Rich (same deal). Science was a more elastic term a hundred years ago, but beyond that both books provide good inspiration for creating a plan and sticking to it. But Masterson puts the most meat on the bones of the plan. And shows that you don't have to have your mind, soul and/or spirit perfectly aligned to achieve financial independence.

I've profited in my intellectual, spiritual* and otherwise personal development from reading all three writers. Hopefully soon we'll start seeing some additions to the bottom line.

*I couldn't stop thinking of Omni as I was reading Wattles. He dwells intensively on the spiritual side of wealth creation.

5 comments:

Steve Burri said...

Beaver pelts... that's where the money is. Sell 'em at the rendezvous, spend it on whiskey.

Al said...

A few voyageurs did take the steps necessary to become fur traders, not just trappers, and became financially independent. Most famously, Jim Bridger, who wasn't a real good businessman, but he managed to live in retirement for twenty years.

It's making the transition that's the problem.

Omni said...

Awwwwww, how sweet that you thought of ME!! :-)

ron said...

It is funny you should mention Omni. I have from time to time stopped of at her site for that gentle loving touch she is able to exude because she does not have a comments section I thought she would like to know that I linked her up.

And Omni.

You were meant to be. Your Dad not withstanding that heart of yours is very good.

Omni said...

Thanks, Ron, what a nice thing to say!! I've linked you back!! xo