Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hayley Westenra is a New Zealander, eh?

What an extraordinary talent she is! I found her in the Celtic Woman group and I was intrigued by the fact that she didn't seem to be with them all the time, so I had to find out what was up with that. She shows off her Kiwi accent at that site. Subtly different from Aussie - I can usually tell who's what between the two accents, but I couldn't tell you how.

The Wikipedia article says she's Dutch and Irish. I suppose, there must be Dutch people in a place called New Zealand. Westenra's a Frisian name.

I'll be picking up more of her stuff.

What? You don't think it's bourgeois to like a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice? I'd say "love," but there are...you know...implications.

4 comments:

The probligo said...

Not my style Al, but if you like a voice with as much character as a sine wave on perfect pitch then go for it.

While looking to NZ women singers you might like to tap into Hollie Smith, Whirimako Black (specially her soul sessions with Summertime and some of the other classics), Mahinerangi Tocker and Hinewehi Mohi.

Enjoy!!

Al said...

Hey, I really like that last one, Hinewehi Mohi! They all seem to have the "babe factor". The others, well, I don't work on my taste for jazz much. But I'll give 'em all a fair shot.

Al said...

oh, I guess Whirimako Black isn't really a babe, but there's no doubt she sings well. I think I like jazz better in tongues I don't know.

Unknown said...

Don't be ashamed. All us Hayley Fans LOVE her angelic voice and we're not afraid to shout it out for all to hear.

We also love her humanitarian activities. She is truly a role model for the young women of today.

We fans are fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase beautiful music sung by a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice and a beautiful lifestyle who is a beautiful example to our daughters and their children.

So there!