Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Honor the Earth: Impacted Nations: a traveling art show

[Feel free to skip the next post down. But if you do read it, remember, I like to make Grumpy Old Man jokes (I'm talking about my intro), so while I try not to distort the truth, read some humor into it. I'm no Dana Carvey, but I think I'm funny anyway.]

I took some pictures of the artworks on display at work. I thought you'd be interested. I think it's good stuff that deserves to be advertised. Go see an exhibit.

I don't know that these two are necessarily my favorites (the picture is, but there are a lot of close seconds), but I wanted to show a couple of pieces to indicate the variety of works on display. There is also a blanket called "Peace and Friendship Forever?" depicting some of the promises America has made and broken with the indians.

Oh, I see the "Media Coverage" links, at the bottom of the page I've linked in my title, take you to more images from the show. And here's that blanket, though there is a LOT of detail that doesn't show in that picture. I'm not showing the picture that I have because I didn't want to shrink it down to a bloggable size. I wouldn't want to do that without permission anyway. I got to that page via the "Artwork, Artist Statements and Biographies" link on the main page.







I've been sitting here for a half hour, trying to distill my thoughts about my ancestors and ancestry, the present state of indian/white relations, the meanings of the artworks... A lot of thoughts... Some of my ancestors may have been involved in oppressing others of my ancestors... All the misunderstandings and warmaking.

Oh! I've been there! On top of some of those peaks! What he describes, in the artist's statement...you feel it.

Well... Shall I be a true philistine now and smash the reverie?

No. I won't. Real life will do that soon enough. Indeed that's what a lot of the exhibit is about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Al. This is Luke from Honor the Earth. I came across your blog and am putting together a brief summary of the show for our annual report. I'm thinking we might like to quote a sentence or two from your blog, as someone who got to see that show and took the time to write about it. Let me know if that would be okay! Thanks, Luke
(luke@honorearth.org)

Al said...

Oh! Please do! I want to help!